THE WESTERN UNION COMPANY ONLINE PRIVACY STATEMENT
Effective Date: March 15, 2009
This Online Privacy Statement describes globally how Western Union collects and uses your personal information ("Information") that we obtain when you visit and/or use any of our Web sites.
INFORMATION WE COLLECT
Western Union collects Information about you from a variety of sources including those listed below. You consent to the collection, transfer and storage of this Information by computers or other transfer or storage devices, including that we may transfer and retention of your data outside of the country where you may have accessed the Web site, for specific practices please refer to your local country’s Privacy Statement.
- We collect Information you supply when: (a) you ask us or one of our affiliated companies, Western Union agents or suppliers ("Affiliates") to send or receive money or to provide other goods or services; (b) you submit Information on applications or other forms to us or our Affiliates; or (c) you otherwise submit Information to us, our Affiliates or others;
- We collect Information about your transactions with us, our Affiliates or others;
- We collect Information about you from a variety of third party sources such as our business customers, government agencies and consumer reporting agencies and other suppliers of public information, including information on the basis of mathematical statistical methods from varies sources in order to verify any of the information you provide in order to effect, administer and enforce transactions;
- We may collect Information about you from a variety of third party sources such as our business clients, government agencies and consumer reporting agencies and other suppliers of information;
- We collect Information about the domain and host from which you access the Internet; your computer’s Internet address; the browser and operating system software you use; the date and time you access our Web site and the Internet address of the site from which you linked to our Web site when you visit us; and
- We collect Information on your online activity as described in the paragraph below titled "INTERNET TECHNOLOGY."
We use internet technologies like cookies and Web beacons for a variety of purposes, including, but not limited to, those identified below
- To assist us in providing services to you;
- To allow you to change web pages during your visit without having to re-enter your password;
- To store your preferences and other information and to track activity on our website
- To better understand the effectiveness of our promotional campaigns;
- To determine whether you came to our site from a banner ad or an affiliate website
- To deliver Information specific to your interests on additional web sites; and
- To determine whether you've acted on our promotional messages.
A "cookie" is a text file placed on your computer's hard drive by a Web site. Your Web browser uses it to guide you to sites based on your interest. "Web beacons" are transparent electronic images placed in the Web code that collect non-personal data while visiting a Web site. Cookies and Web beacons can usually be disabled by changing your browser preferences. This will limit the performance of Western Union's Web site. Your browser usually has documentation on how to disable cookies and Web beacons.
INFORMATION WE DISCLOSE
Subject to your consent or as otherwise permitted by law, we may disclose the Information we collect in the paragraphs titled, "INFORMATION WE COLLECT" and "INTERNET TECHNOLOGY" to our Affiliates and to unaffiliated third parties as described below.
We may disclose Information with Western Union Affiliates within or outside of country when the data was collected to effect, administer and complete transactions including:
- Financial service providers such as Western Union Agents that offer our services;
- Banks, credit card companies, brokerage houses, mortgage lenders and mortgage originators;
- Government agencies;
- As permitted or required by law; and
- Legal, regulatory, security, government and processing organizations applicable to us or our Affiliates or service provider.
We may disclose Information about current and former consumers to the following types of third parties, which are subject to your consent such as:
- Non-financial companies such as retailers, and other providers of goods and services;
- Advertising and direct marketing companies; and
- Other financial institutions with which we have joint marketing arrangements.
CONFIDENTIALITY AND SECURITY
We endeavor to maintain physical, electrical and procedural safeguards that comply with applicable government regulations to guard your Information. We also endeavor to restrict Information access to our employees, agents and representatives that need to know it. Despite our efforts, and as you probably know, third parties may unlawfully intercept or access transmissions sent to us or may wrongly instruct you to disclose Information to them while posing as Western Union.
To better serve you and provide communications regarding new services or promotions, you will need to instruct Western Union on your choice regarding disclosure. Your choice may be for disclosures of Information to our Affiliates only, or to disclose your Information to nonaffiliated third parties as well as our Affiliates. Your choice can be submitted to us during the registration or transaction process or you can contact us using the information provided in the "Contact Us" section below.
Some disclosures are not subject to your consent. These include, among others, disclosures necessary to effect, administer or enforce a transaction you request; disclosures to our authorized service providers (including Western Union Agents); disclosures: i) as permitted or required by law; ii) for public safety; iii) to prevent fraud; or iv) in connection with other illegal activities.
Western Union maintains your choice and transaction history based on our record retention schedules. If you do not perform another transaction within the retention time period, your Information, as well as your choice will be removed.
ACCURACY OF INFORMATION
We permit consumers to exercise their rights of access, correction, cancellation and objection, to do so you can contact us using the information provided in the "Contact Us" section below. To protect your privacy, we also will take reasonable steps to verify your identity before making corrections. We reserve the right to independently verify claims made, where permitted by law; we reserve the right to assess a service charge for providing you any information in connection with your request.
EXTERNAL WEB SITES
Western Union's Web site may be linked to or from third party Web sites. Western Union is not responsible for the content or privacy practices employed by Web sites that are linked to or from our Web site.
Western Union reserves the right to modify this Privacy Statement. Updated Privacy Statements will be posted at this Web site when amendments occur. We urge you to review this Privacy Statement when you visit to obtain the most current statement. You may change your choices at any time.
To provide your personal choice or to change account information go to your profile page. If you have questions about our privacy practices or Information we maintain about you contact us by clicking here.
We also accept questions by regular mail and by telephone at the locations identified below:
Western Union Canada
P.O Box 8, Suite 300